Monday, August 4, 2008

Thing #8

I think RSS will quickly help me become more up to date on library, new books, and technology news. I played around with adding some of my favorite news sites like Fox News and Drudge Report. Drudge did not have an RSS that I could find. When I added Fox, it was too overwhelming because they have new stories constantly. I decided I just wanted to limit this Google Reader to my favorite library/literature sites and blogs. And I think I will become even more selective so as to not overwhelm myself with too much info. I like the list view because that tells me at a glance if I want to explore a feed further.

Libraries could set up Google Reader pages for different curriculum topics that students are studying, for teachers on educational news, for students interested in reading blogs covering new books. You could put links for these Google Reader pages on the Library Web Page, and provide up-to-the-minute information on a host of topics. These links would also be helpful when you are first introducing what a blog or an RSS Feed is.

No comments: