Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Thing #15

Okay, I'm a more than a little worried after reading OCLC's article. Pretty soon patrons will be searching for a super librarian rather than books? Since I started my MLS, my husband has always questioned whether there will be libraries in the future, and I'm starting to wonder if he wasn't right. My mantra has always been, "You don't learn to love reading from a computer. You learn to love reading from books." However kids love computers too. So I suppose I had better embrace Libray 2.0 before it leaves me in the dust.

For my elementary school library, I see Library 2.0 starting slowly and picking up speed year after year. I would like to start a book club with older students and show them how to use Google Calendar and a blog to talk about our book. When the time comes to pick new library automation software, I would want to choose one with lots of 2.0 features (tags, clouds, reader feedback) like Aquabrowser. I would begin saving bookmarks for different teachers' classes in Delicious and show them how to use it. I will post an avatar of myself on the library web page and show students how to do the same. I will create my own library with Library Thing and show teachers and students how to do the same. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I might start my own blog of children's and YA literature.

No comments: