Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Thing #23

My favorite discoveries were Library Thing, Edublogs, the Online Image Generators, the Wikis, the Teacher Librarian Ning, WorldCat, and Photostory.

I can see I need to spend a lot more time on the web to keep with the tools my students and colleagues are using. I always thought reading books, searching for web sites, and scouring SLJ and other periodicals for reviews were my primary homework. I was wrong. Actually examining the blogs, wikis, and nings can cut down on time spent searching for web sites and reviews. Why reinvent the wheel?

The thing that surprised me is how these tools could make such a difference for me professionally speaking as a librarian, for students, and for distance learning.

If you could poll people about how much actual time they spent completing the Things, I think that would help people plan better for completing the project.
Advise people to come up with an alias and a discardable email address in the beginning if they or their family like to keep information private. Also advise them they will be downloading several different programs to their comuter and registering with a number of sites.

I would like to participate in a program like this which offered staff development credit, especially if I had plenty of time to complete it online, at my own pace.

Libray2Play -- it will overwhelm, excite, and inspire you!

No comments: